The word “fabrication” means to make something from raw material. Steel fabrication is no different and plays an extremely important role in the world’s infrastructure and economy. Practically every aspect of our civilization benefits from some form of fabricated metal. From household appliances to vehicles and parts, our lives would be unrecognisable without carbon steel, stainless steel and aluminium.
Although the construction of steel buildings dates back to the 20th century, they became more popular during World War II. Thereafter, steel buildings expanded significantly once steel became more readily available. Modern technology, machinery and computer aided design software have pushed steel fabrication to the next level as we see it today. Steel fabrication now involves the implementation of various manufacturing processes including bending, cutting, grinding, brazing and welding.
5 Areas where steel construction is most often used
- High-rise buildings due to its strength, low weight and speed of construction
- Industrial buildings because of its ability to create large spaces at low cost
- Warehouse buildings due to low cost construction of large spaces
- Residential buildings in a technique called light gauge steel construction
- Temporary Structures as these are quick to set up and remove
5 Advantages of steel structures
- Structurally sound and manufactured to strict specifications and tolerances
- Energy efficient and any excess material is 100% recyclable
- Steel does not warp, buckle, twist or bend and is therefore easy to modify
- Cost effective and rarely fluctuates in price
- Allows for improved quality of construction and less maintenance
Structural Steel Fabrication Compliance (BSEN1090 Ex3)
CE Marking of construction products is mandatory in all EU Member states. Businesses involved in structural steel fabrication must demonstrate compliance with BS EN 1090-1. In addition, they also need to prove product conformance through mandatory CE marking.
Fabrication compliance allows businesses to continue manufacturing and selling their products within the EU. Companies who fail to conform to these standards, and trade without a legitimate CE Mark, could face criminal charges. Visit en1090cert.org to find out more about the certification process where you’ll find all the necessary information and FAQ’s.
Steel Fabrication At PRV Engineering
In addition to being fully certified (BS EN1090-1:2009 +A1:2011), there are many other benefits of choosing PRV Engineering for your fabrication project.
- Don’t have to choose between limited standard sized fabrication templates
- Tailor the design to your exact requirements
- Exercise closer control over project costs and completion deadlines
- You can choose preferred specialist contractors
- Don’t pay lead contractors mark-ups on services that they sub-contract
Some of our projects include manufacturing and installing high quality products. These include steel balustrades, steel staircases, handrails, steel fire escapes, steel framework and balconies among others.
Fabrication At PRV Engineering
In manufacturing, there are essentially three components that determine success – production cost, quality and speed. While each of the components is important in their own right, manufacturers must fully commit to all three to achieve success.
Here at PRV Engineering we offer a first-class steel framework fabrication and concreting service with a ‘One-Stop-Shop’ approach. Doing everything in-house not only saves you money, it nullifies additional risk factors in terms of sub-par workmanship from less than reputable sub-contractors. Steel suppliers and fabricators should be certified and have a skilled, well-equipped workforce. They must employ the highest standards throughout the entire production chain.
With more than 20 years supplying steel fabrication services to the construction industry, our staff can manage your project from start to finish. We manufacture for a number of industries including construction, automotive, aerospace, defence and rail among others. Get in touch if you have any questions about PRV Engineering or if you need help with your steel fabrication project.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.