CNC machining or to give it its full title “Computer Numerical Control” machining, allows for increased efficiency through higher levels of automation. In simple terms, the machine and its computer controls to do all the work.
As a result and having taken into consideration their expense and complexity, the machines quickly pay for themselves by reducing the workload and preventing errors. That’s the first advantage of many. CNC machines are widely used in the manufacturing industry with traditional machines, such as vertical millers, centre lathes, shaping machines and routers, having been overtaken.
PRV engineering is constantly seeking to develop its business to stay ahead of the competition and using CNC machining has enabled the company to achieve that aim.
Major advantages of CNC machining
- CNC machining improves automation by removing the need of an operator for all but a few parts of the work. CNC machines can be left unattended for hours or even days if necessary.
- By removing the operator, safety is also increased. Should there be a jam or other potentially dangerous machining error, the operator will not be holding the tool and the only thing damaged will be the tool itself.
- CNC machining produces an exact result every single time. Even the best human operator will have minor variations between finished results, whereas a CNC machine will produce exactly the same result each and every time.
- Less skilled people can operate CNCs unlike manual lathes/milling machines which need to be operated by skilled engineers.
- Training in the use of CNCs is available through the use of ‘virtual software’. This software allows the operator to practice using the CNC machine on the screen of a computer.
- CNC machining is flexible and can be completely reprogrammed in a matter of hours to produce a completely different product.
PRV managing director Simon Jones said; “If you’re looking for CNC Machining from a precision engineering company who can provide a true “one stop shop facility” for all your CNC Machining requirements, then PRV is the right company for you.”
“We provide value, quality and a bespoke service from the beginning to the end of your assignment. It doesn’t matter if the economy is in a downturn or expanding, PRV has an established track record working with its customers to provide the very best CNC Machining service.
“We possess the skills and know-how to provide your replacement parts on an ad hoc basis, and the cost is less than you could achieve through the primary producers.”
If you have any questions about CNC machining or just want to comment on your experience of CNC machining, let us know in the comment box below.