When you think of structural steel fabrication and construction, what comes to mind first? Most construction projects consist of steel frameworks with skyscrapers, warehouses and shopping malls at the top of the list.
Many industries rely on structural steel fabrication because of the unmatched quality, reliability, flexibility, cost effectiveness and sustainability. But what happens when companies use non-compliant suppliers? Did you know that there are potentially over 7000 UK suppliers who are trading illegally?
Using non-certified fabrication companies within the supply chain will have financial and contractual implications for contractors, builders and developers. This raises the question whether or not your steelwork supply chain is compliant to EN 1090. Not to mention the risks your organisation could potentially face.
What Is EN1090?
EN1090 are European standards that regulate the fabrication and assembly of steel and aluminium structures. It’s recognised by the Construction Products Regulation and consists of three parts:
- EN 1090-1: Requirements for conformity assessment for structural components (CE-Marking)
- EN 1090-2: Technical requirements for the execution of steel structures
- and EN 1090-3 with technical requirements for the execution of aluminium structures
Structural Steel Fabrication and CE Marking
CE Marking of all construction products is mandatory in all EU Member states. Businesses involved in structural steel fabrication of components must demonstrate product compliance with BS EN 1090-1. In addition, you also need to prove product conformance through mandatory CE marking.
Fabrication compliance allows you to continue manufacturing and selling your products within the EU. Companies who fail to conform to these standards and trade without a legitimate CE Mark could face criminal charges.
Non-certified Structural Steel Fabrication Companies
Legal Compliance to EN 10901:2009 came into existence on July 1st 2014. Failure to appoint a certified sub-contract company to issue a Certificate of Conformity and Declaration of Performance carries the following risks:
- Breach of Formal Client Contract – Failure to appoint a certified sub-contract company to issue a Certificate of Conformity and Declaration of Performance may result in a breach of contractual requirements to the Client and Building Regulations.
- Failure to appoint a certified sub-contract company to issue a Certificate of Conformity and Declaration will be in breach of NHBC requirements.
- Failure to appoint a certified sub-contract company may result in a major non-conformance or withdrawal of certification in relation to ISO 9001 accreditation.
- Client Confidence – Supplier Prosecution by Trading Standards will result in adverse publicity, thus reducing Client confidence and bad for business.
- Failure to appoint a certified sub-contract company to issue a Certificate of Conformity and Declaration will be in breach of standard Building Insurance requirements
Structural Steel Fabrication With PRV Engineering
We’ve been supplying steelwork and steel fabrications to the construction industry for over twenty years. Our work include manufacturing and installing high quality products including bespoke platforms, balconies, balustrades and handrails in Mild Steel and Stainless Steel.
In addition to being fully certified (BS EN1090-1:2009 +A1:2011), there are many other benefits when working with us.
- You no longer have to choose between limited standard sized fabrication templates
- You have the ability to tailor the design to your exact requirements
- Exercise closer control over project costs
- You have the ability to tailor build projects and choose preferred specialist contractors
- Don’t pay lead contractors mark-ups on services they sub-contract
- Have the means to achieve completion deadlines
- Tailor the Project to specific requirements
How To Get EN1090-Certified
Visit en1090cert.org to start the certification process where your company will be assessed against the EN1090 requirements. All the necessary information and FAQ’s are at your fingertips.
We offer a complete service from the design and structural details to the manufacture and installation. This includes all ground works, amenities and electrical installations. All materials are manufactured and CE marked to BSEN 1090 – Ex3.
Get in touch if you have any questions about PRV Engineering and how we can help with your construction, engineering or manufacturing project.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.