Metal fabrication is the process of cutting steel, aluminium or other materials into shapes to produce certain products. The metal fabrication process usually starts with a design that has been drawn up or otherwise conceived by a designer or an engineer. This design is then translated into blueprints by the contractor or engineer and then used to make the desired product. In this article, we look at some of the materials used during the fabrication process and how it all works.
As with many other manufacturing processes, metal fabrication commonly involves both human labour and automation. A fabricated product is often called a fabrication and companies that specialise in this type of work are called fabrication shops. The result of other common types of metalwork such as machining, stamping, forging, and casting may be similar in shape and function but these are not classified as fabrication.
Metal Fabrication Processes
Industry experts define metal fabrication as the implementation of bending, cutting, and assembly to produce metal components. It helps produce various items for several industries including precision-engineered aviation parts and engine components among others. Here are the most common processes involved in metal fabrication:
- Cutting involves penetrating the metal with a sharp instrument to remove a fraction of the workpiece
- Bending is where a manufacturer forces the metal into shape by forming an angle or curve in the metal piece
- Forming involves a process where the manufacturer shapes the metal by moulding or forging it into the desired form
- Machining involves the manufacturer using tools to turn, mill, level, shape, drill or remodel a metal component. This usually occurs before or during the finishing process
- Assembling is when the manufacturer assembles the metal components while the manufacturing process continues
The Different Grades Of Steel
Steel is one of the most widely used materials in structural engineering, and there are many different grades depending on the intended use. There are four types of steel, i.e. carbon, alloy, stainless and tool steel.
- Carbon steel has a higher concentration of carbon than other types of steel and is typically used for structures that do not require high levels of corrosion resistance
- Alloy steels have a variety of elements between 1.0% and 50% by weight to improve their mechanical properties and offer good corrosion resistance
- Stainless steel, however, is a group of ferrous alloys that contain a minimum of approximately 11% chromium, a composition that prevents the iron from rusting so it’s even better against corrosion
- Tool steel is a variety of carbon steel and alloy steel that is perfectly suited to make tools for use in machining or cutting other metals
Fabrication Services At PRV Engineering
Steel fabrication is the process of converting steel into structures or parts using various fabrication processes. At PRV Engineering, we employ several techniques to fabricate parts based on a customer’s specifications and these including machining, forging, casting, stamping and steel extrusion.
We pride ourselves on a higher ability to produce precise and economical structural steel fabrication whether it’s a new building, building support, roofing steelwork or an extension. Our extensive experience within the steel fabrication industry means that our skilled and knowledgeable staff can offer professional advice and clear guidance on any size project.
How To Find The Right Metal Fabrication Company For Your Project
Working with a quality metal fabrication company means having the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to create your design from concept and prototype to final product. With the complexity of steel fabrication, finding the right engineering company is vital. It involves more than choosing a service provider as you should be focusing on finding a partner.
You need a company that can design and manufacture most efficiently and cost-effectively whilst minimising risk. One way to do this right is to think outside the box and look beyond the product-based aspect of manufacturing. If you’re looking for a reputable engineering company, read this article to find out some of the key factors to consider and questions to ask. INSERT WHY PRV Video
Why Choose PRV Engineering
PRV Engineering work with all types of metals from the basic mild steels to the more exotic Monel, Inconel, Hastelloy and Titanium. We offer a wide range of architectural and structural steel fabrication services including aluminium framework, gates, handrails, staircases, canopies, balustrades, fire escapes, balconies and mezzanine floors among many others.
We provide the relevant qualifications for Site Instructions, Method Statements and Risk Assessments for all work undertaken. And, everything we do is under the latest CDM regulations which are foremost in our approach for safety and efficiency.
Our team can install products at various locations including factories, warehouses, offices, schools, medical and sports facilities, retail and residential units. If you have any questions about our range of products and services or need a quote for a specific project, please contact us via the website.